Tuesday, September 25, 2007

¡Clases!

Now that orientation is over, we're starting our real classes. After spending a ridiculous amount of time freaking out and trying to make sense of my schedule I think I've figured out more or less what I'm taking (though this could change drastically in the next few weeks.) We have 3 types of courses we can take on the program. First, our program seminars. These are just for the kids on my program and they tend to be classes of about 10-15 students. I'm taking two of these; Español para Negocios (Spanish for business) and Democracia y Dictadura en España en el Siglo XX (Democracy and Dictatorship in 20th Century Spain--though you probably could have figured that out.) The second type is "Cursos concertados." These are taught by Universidad de Sevilla professors specifically for foreign students so I'll be with kids from my program as well as all other study abroad programs in Sevilla. I'm taking one of these, Cine Español Contemporáneo (I won't even bother translating) which is one of the most popular courses apparently. I've really enjoyed watcing Spanish films in high school and NU classes, so hopefully I'll get to see more great movies. Finally, Northwestern demands that we take one regular university class, so I'll be mixed in with all the Spanish students. I'm planning on taking Geografía Humana y Demografía which seems to be kind of a mix of an anthropology and sociology class. The content seems really interesting--I hope I'll be able to keep up!

Assuming this all pans out, I think I'll be able to squeeze in a couple extracurricular activities too. My professor for Español para Negocios teaches English at a local grade school and offers "internships" to students who spend 2 hours a week assisting in an English classroom. Maybe it's because I miss being a camp counselor, but I think it'd be so much fun to work with kids here and 2 hours a week is definitely doable. The Sweet Briar office is also trying to coordinate cooking and flamenco classes for us--both of which I'd be interested in if I have time. If not, Gloria has said she will teach me to cook so no matter what when I get back you all have to come over so I can make you delicious Spanish food!

This should keep me pretty busy (especially since most of this takes place Monday-Wednesday and I have long weekends of traveling!) but I'm excited to really settle into a normal routine. I already feel very at home in my apartment and every day I become more familiar with the city, but I think taking classes every week and getting to know more Sevillanos will make me feel more established here and less like I'm just on a long, awesome vacation. Not that I'm not super excited for all the actual vacations! Emily, Marissa and I sat down earlier this week and made a list of the things we want to see in Paris and lately I can't put my guidebooks down. This weekend is our last program retreat for a while--we're going Saturday to Chiclana, this beach town southwest of here and spending the night. Should be nice and relaxing--not that life here (aside from my class-selection catastrophe) is that stressful. At all. :)

¡Besos y abrazos!

2 comments:

Laura said...

yay for figuring out classes! you're going to be a spanish master by the time you're done. also, how lucky am i to be your roommate when we get back and you're a spanish cooking queen? Also, i made mashed potatoes last night and they were good! so we're all set..

Judi said...

Amy, looks so beautiful and like the weather is also wonderful. It is amazing that Europe has such a history and preservation of that. Sounds like you have a million miles a day schedule, but also hope that you stop and enjoy all the wonderful stuff around ...