Thursday, September 13, 2007

Vamos a la playa...

Hola!

I don't have too much exciting to tell from these last few days...but I do feel like I'm getting used to it here. We made it to the beach Sunday after a bit of adventure. We were told the train would drop us off right by the beach but that was not the case. We walked around this tiny little town for a while, asking people who would point us in different directions, and finally found the tourism office where they showed us the bus we needed to take. It worked out well though, because it was extremely cloudy and a little chilly right up until we arrived when all of a sudden the sun came out and it was perfect beach weather. The beaches here are really pretty. There was a little boardwalk with restaurants and ice cream shops and cafes. Also, the sand feels different here; I think it's finer than I'm used to. Oh, I only got a little bit sunburned!

Other than that I've been going to orientation classes and continuing to explore Sevilla. Today we took a tour of La Catedral (I'll post pics soon) which was really interesting--Christopher Colombus's remains are there (supposedly--long story, I'll tell it with the pics.) We walk a lot here but I absolutely love it. When I've got some time to kill I'll just pick a direction I haven't been yet and walk for an hour or so, sometimes stopping to buy a Coca-Cola light (that's what they call Diet Coke here) or a candy bar or something. By the way, I've all but kicked my Diet Coke addiction out of necessity since Gloria doesn't keep soda in the house and I haven't asked yet if I can buy some and keep it in the fridge. I'm down to about one a day and I think I've had days here where I haven't even had one! I do need my coffee in the morning and sometimes afternoon though.

We went out earlier this week to this horribly touristy "American" bar. It's decked out in Coca-Cola signs and license plates and they blast everything from Bon Jovi to Usher. It's pretty much every American stereotype in one convenient location--but I have to admit it did feel kind of familiar and fun. Still, I'm determined to have more authentic Sevillano experiences, even if that means hauling my lazy ass out to a discoteca til 4am. (Don't worry Mom and Dad, not very often!)

I'm still figuring out classes and traveling but I should have some definitive plans by this weekend. I've figured out I can't do it all--but I already know I'm falling in love with Spain and Europe. So I guess anything I can't fit in these next 3 months I'll just have to come back and do, right? :)

Pictures and Cathedral stories soon!

No comments: