Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pero, estamos en Granada...

Last week/weekend was kind of crazy. I don't know if I ever talked about it before but we moved. As in, Gloria moved (long story, kind of impromptu) and I moved with her. She's totally the best señora in the world so it's worth it to live with her but it ended up being more of a hassle than I expected even though it's just down the block. The new place is very nice but the old place really felt like my home and it was a little sad to leave. I even set up my new room exactly like the old one. We finally have hot water but the internet is still in and out and a box of my stuff hasn't turned up yet...I'm trying not to let it get to me.

Luckily I got out of the crazy mountains of boxes for the weekend because we had our program trip to Granada. I probably say this about everywhere but Granada really was one of the prettiest places I've ever been. I didn't realize it would be as cold as it was (although it's in the mountains so I should have figured)but it's known as one of the prettiest places in the world to view the sunset (Bill Clinton even said so!) We saw the chapel where Isabel and Ferdinand are buried and it was really interesting. Unfortunately you can't take pictures--not like my camera worked anyway. After that we did some souvenir shopping and I actually found some of the coolest, least tacky stuff yet. Saturday night we just chilled in the hotel which was perfect for me since the movers/cleaning people had woken me up at 8am pretty much every day this past week and I was dead tired.

Sunday was our day to go to the Alhambra and this is where things got a little frustrating. The Alhambra, the 12th century Muslim fortress/palace, is the most visited site in all of Spain and you need to reserve tickets in advance. When we got there, after standing in line for quite a while, we found out our reservations had been for Saturday which was not what they told us. Our directors spoke with as many employees as they could and ultimately we were allowed to see the gardens and some of the palaces but not allowed to enter the most famous part which SUCKS. The parts we did see were very pretty and our tour guide told us some great history/stories. We might get to go back but who knows where I'll be when they reschedule. Might try and go with my parents too but that could get complicated. I SUPPOSE if I just have to come back to Spain another time to see it, I´ll live but seriously...it's like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower.

I better stop complaining though because this weekend I go to Morocco! (Actually leave for the Spanish port city tomorrow after class and we spend tomorrow night there and leave for Morocco Thursday morning.) I'm really really excited and a little bit nervous (our packing list tells us to bring toilet paper with us...) I don't really know what to expect but hopefully it will be as incredible as I've heard it is.

I get back Sunday night and then--parents come Monday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Amy-
We love reading your blogs. What a wonderful time you must be having. I don't think I have your email so I'm writing here. Got your postcard. We will certainly miss you at Thanksgiving-just won't be the same. I hope you have a great time with the folks-they certainly were so excited about seeing you. Enjoy! love, Aunt Lissa and Uncle Scott